Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A very sad decision.

It was with heavy hearts, a lot of thought and talks today that Mel and I decided to pull the pin on vintage 2011. This week I will start cutting the bunches off our vines and drop them.

Its been a hard season already, due to the very cold and wet conditions Australia is experiencing. I think we can all attest to that. What it means for the vines is that they are struggling to ripen fruit, and it has become a race to get them to a useable maturity before we run out of growing season. It was looking tight until I got some hard news this morning.

I took a good spill at the start of the month and dislocated my shoulder (something I have dealt with for nearly two decades now), however this time round, I shattered my shoulder socket - the socket has broken open. The only way to rectify it is with open surgery, to rebreak it and then screw the bones back together correctly.

The end effect is 6 weeks of immobility and then physio...no driving tractors, no vineyard maintenance, nothing. I am out of commission for the rest of this season.

So the best course is to give the vines the balance of this season to put on condition.

'Not happy Jan!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input! Your comment will appear shortly!